Search This Blog

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Getting back into the gym

Written 08/01/2012
NOTE: Nothing special about this post.  I just wanted to get this down some where so I can't back out.

                Years ago, I was a gym rat.  I was tired of being called ‘slim’, and decided to get my slim ass in the gym.  I did not do this solely for the purpose of bulking up, but also because I knew I’d feel better day to day.  When I was in the Air Force, fitness was a thing for lots of us.  We’d eat healthy meals, hit the gym and workout.  It was in one of those gym in 2003 that I dislocated my right  shoulder, while working out.  

                I was bench pressing and my right arm shifted off balance, and I heard a sound and suddenly all the weight above me came down on top of me.  Oddly, I wasn’t going for a max at that time.  I was just warming up, really.  Weights crashed, I yelled, people rushed over and lifted weights off of me, and I had to not lift anything higher than my head for a few weeks.  It healed, but I never got back into the gym.  

                Then in 2009, I got bitten by the gym bug again, and I started the routine over again.  I went with a good friend of mine named Zac, who turned out o be an awesome gym partner.  If I didn’t want to go, he’d show up at my place anyway, and kick my ass out of bed.  I felt fantastic, and started to gain weight back.  I mean hell, I was looking good.  Not Godzilla sized of course, but athletic and toned.

                Sadly, I was later so overwhelmed with classes and youtube and work and the gym that something quite simply HAD to give.  I was going on 3-4 hours of sleep a night, which I can do, but not when I’m expected to keep grades up and balance weights above my head (I learned that lesson).  So, I dropped out of the gym, and haven’t walked back into the gym since.

                Now I’m getting that bug again.  I’ve found a basic diet, similar to the one I used years ago, and an editing together a workout routine again.  I’ll most likely join a gym, and start going consistently in a few weeks.  I know that when I start, it’ll be a huge investment of time, but hey, none of us are getting any younger, you know? 

                Maybe soon, I’ll get from looking like this (today):

                Back to my happy weight and build (2009):

    Didn't I look serious?   

Greg

1 comment:

  1. I have a blog about the gym all written up but I haven't posted it, mainly because it feels hypocritical to post it when I haven't actually been going to the gym (I wrote it back when I was). And yes, I'm commenting a lot today. I decided to go back and read your posts from before I was subscribed, and they are interesting, and I feel the need to communicate right now.

    ReplyDelete